3 good size beets–including their green leaves stripped from stems
1 large celery root
½ large red onion (or yellow onion if preferred)
½ cup olive oil
6-8 fresh basil leaves—or 1 tablespoon dry basil
1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence (organic, by The Spice Hunter)—or if not available, 1 teaspoon of combined thyme, parsley, tarragon & oregano.
¼ teaspoon ginger powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce of preferred)
¼ – ½ cup of apple cider vinegar
1-2 tablespoons honey
Salt to taste (optional)
1) Wash beets and celery root well as shown in our Save Water, Health and Time post (find it in green Search box).
2) Peel beets (wear rubber gloves to prevent staining your hands), rinse, cut in half and slice (not too thin)—set aside in a bowl, together with beet leaves that have been stripped off their stems & either torn by hand or sliced into strips.
3) Peel celery root (not easy but its flavor & nutrition will reward your labor), slice into finger-size chunks—set aside in separate bowl.
4) Peel and slice onion, place in stainless steel cooking pot with olive oil and sauté on low heat until onion becomes translucent.
5) Add beets and celery root & mix it well with the onion, sautéing for ½ minute.
6) Add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the apple cider vinegar & honey.
7) Add water, cover pot and cook until beets and root are firm but soft enough to eat—don’t over-cook.
8) In a cup, combine the apple cider vinegar and honey, adjusting the flavor until it is balanced to your taste, neither too sour nor too sweet.
9) Just before you are ready to remove pot from burner, add the blended apple cider vinegar and honey—mix it well into the ingredients while they continue to cook for another 30 seconds or so.
NOTE: This versatile beet and celery root dish is equally delicious hot or cold, as a side dish or condiment. It keeps in the fridge for two weeks or more. Can be added to salads or eaten as an appetizer with sliced hard goat cheese and crackers.
Use organic ingredients whenever possible—they taste better, are certainly best for your health and appearance and all things considered, are even more economical.