Ingredients: (all organic ingredients suggested for optimum flavor & nutritional value)
1 pound of chicken ‘tenders’ (the soft inner part of breast—boneless)
2 whole legs—skins removed & drumsticks cut from thighs
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon dry parsley
½ tablespoon dry basil
½ tablespoon dry tarragon
¼ teaspoon sweet red paprika
pinch of cayenne (or other hot spice)
pinch of powdered ginger
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon coriander
pinch of thyme
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 & ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon smoky barbecue sauce (we use “Bella’s Rich & Smokey BBQ Sauce” when available)
2-4 handfuls of breadcrumbs (to add texture & crunchiness)
(Note: To prevent salmonella or other bacterial contamination when coking raw fish, fowl or red meats, (a) rinse them well with cold, running water in a clean sink & transfer to a clean bowl; (b) make sure you wash hands, containers, cooking implements, sink, etc. whenever they come into contact with the raw fish, fowl or red meat, & before touching anything else—using a pair of tongs or big fork might be helpful, as long as you wash them afterward with soap & hot water.)
- Cut chicken parts into 2-3 inch pieces (cut at least 2 pieces off the drumstick & thigh to reduce their thickness & allow faster baking)—leave parts in the bowl until ready to be transferred into marinade bath.
- Turn on oven & set at 400 degrees.
- Coat a baking dish (Pyrex glass or stainless steel—avoid aluminum) of the appropriate size with ½ cup olive oil & set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the marinade bath consisting of the remaining ½ cup of olive oil & the rest of the above-listed ingredients (herbs, spices, balsamic vinegar, smoky sauce)—& mix thoroughly.
- Place chicken parts into marinade bath & coat each piece well with the mix.
- Remove pieces one by one (with tong or fork) from the marinade & arrange in baking dish—without crowding, although they may touch.
- Pour leftover sauce over chicken, spreading it evenly.
- Shake & distribute breadcrumbs evenly throughout the contents of the baking dish.
- Place baking dish into the oven & bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, then turn heat down to 350 degrees.
- Bake chicken until breadcrumbs turn rosy—but test 2-3 times during the next 50 minutes—or longer, if needed)—test small pieces with a fork & thick pieces by cutting into them & parting the meat to make sure they are done.