The Prado at Balboa Park
1549 El Prado
San Diego, CA
Tel: (619) 557-9441
Cohn Restaurant Group
Dinner: Tue-Sun at 5pm
Lunch: Mon-Fri: 11:30am-3pm
With its art-filled interiors and scenic location in Balboa Park’s historic House of Hospitality, The Prado is one of the award-winning Cohn Restaurant Group’s crown jewels and has been one of San Diego’s most popular attraction since its opening in 2000.
A top-tier restaurant within walking distance of Balboa Park’s museums and The Old Globe Theatres’ three-venue complex, The Prado is as adept at serving leisure visitors, as it is to provide comfortably paced meals that help theatre ticket-holders and museum goers get to their events on time.
The main dining room and romantic outdoor garden setting serve creative and varied menus daily—always with several choices for health-conscious diners and special diet requirements. And visitors may drop in anytime for light repasts, drinks, dessert or snacks (most “taster”-sized from the main dining room’s menu) at The Prado’s charming indoor-outdoor pub.
One of San Diego’s notable caterers, The Prado offers both on- and off-site events, from corporate cocktail parties to weddings, banquets and charity fundraisers—as well as wine tastings and cooking classes.
The restaurant’s pub area serves a wide variety of appetizers and drinks, while the main dining room and outdoor patio offers full lunch and dinner menus listing regional and continental specialties that come with picture-perfect presentations and more often than not, with some gustatory surprises—best illustrated by the following menu samples that range from appetizers to main course:
• Bay Scallops and Shrimp Ceviche Tacos with lime juice, onions, cilantro, jicama, green olives, serrano guacamole, crispy corn tortillas
• Prado Sea Cake—blue crab, shrimp, cod, apple jicama slaw, sambal remoulade, piquillo aioli
• Watermelon and Watercress Salad with shaved fennel, mint, ricotta salata, chile-lime vinaigrette
• Prado Paella—fish, mussels, shrimp, calamari, chicken, chorizo and lobster in saffron broth
• Forest Mushroom Risotto with herbs and white truffle-whipped goat cheese
* Thai Style Yellow Curry Chicken and Red Pepper Pappardelle with coconut milk, lemongrass, lime leaf, peas, cauliflower, and spinach (vegetarian option: with tofu)
* Side of Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
• Side of Spinach and Fennel
• Side of Grilled Asparagus